Flavours of Sussex – the importance of food provenance to Historic Sussex Hotels
Provenance, sustainability, the environment and ethical food are high on the agenda at privately owned Historic Sussex Hotels – a collection of three very distinctive luxury hotels set in some of the most beautiful locations in West Sussex. Each hotel is unique in style, character and history, yet together they are committed to offering the highest standards of hospitality, comfort, service and cuisine.
Walk through the doors of these historic properties and you take a step back in time, as narrow passageways with flagstone floors lead you through a series of intimate lounges and sitting rooms, decorated with antiques, tapestries and beautiful fresh flowers. Gaze out through the Gothic mullioned windows at the delightful gardens and the rose-clad courtyards and sink into a comfortable sofa or armchair, warmed by a crackling log fire on cooler days, while experiencing the very best of service and hospitality.
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa is in the market town of Midhurst, Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa is in the village of Cuckfield and Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa is on the coast in Climping. Having celebrated the 50th anniversary of the group in 2007, the owners continue to invest in their hotels, creating luxurious country house retreats with antique furniture, rich textiles, modern amenities and excellent food.
One of the key components of HSH success is that they use quality, locally sourced ingredients from Sussex on their menus. They have great relationships with local suppliers, some of whom they have been working with for many years – it is a team effort, from field (or sea) to fork! Below is a map HSS have put together showing all of the local suppliers so guests can be assured that the food on their plates is truly local.
1 Milford Surrey – Secretts – Organic fruit, vegetables, salads
2 Haslemere – Ellis Food Services – Fruit, vegetables, dairy
3 Rogate – Rother Valley Organics – Organic Lamb, pork, beef
4 Lurgashall – Blackdown Gin – Gin
5 Upperton near Petworth – Upperton Vineyard – Sparkling wine
6 Chilgrove – Chilgrove Gin – Gin
7 Petworth – Hallgate Farm – Organic eggs
8 Goodwood – Goodwood Home Farm – Organic lamb, cheese
9 Duncton – South Down Venison & Game – Game
10 Pulborough – Nyetimber – Sparkling wine
11 Pulborough – Chefs Herbs – Fruit, vegetables, herbs
12 Pulborough – Hada del Café – Coffee
13 Arundel – Arundel Brewery – Beer
14 Selsey – Selsey Shellfish – Crab, Lobster
15 Flansham – Rookery Farm – Organic Eggs
16 Littlehampton – Browns Seafoods – Fish, Shellfish
17 Cowfold – Trenchmore Beef – Beef
18 Partridge Green – Darkstar Brewery – Beer
19 Partridge Green – Sussex Gold – Extra virgin rape seed oil, sunflower seed oil
20 Bolney – Bookers Estate – Sparkling and still wines
21 Balcombe – Balcombe Estate – Game
22 East Grinstead – CMB Butchers
23 Ardingly – Fellows Bakery – Bread
24 Danehill – Bluebell Vineyard – Sparkling wine
25 Hassocks – Russells Fruiterers – Fruit, vegetables, herbs
26 Ditchling – Ridgeview – Sparkling wine
27 Portslade – Cheeseman – Cheese, butter, dairy
28 Portslade – Brighton & Newhaven Fish – Fish, Shellfish
29 Ripe – Park Farm – Eggs
30 Golden Cross – Golden Cross – Goat cheese
31 Horam – Nut Knowle Farm – Goat cheese
32 Horam – Beal’s Farm – Charcuterie
33 Flimwell – Weald Smokery – Smoked meat, smoked fish
34 Hurst Green – Ringden Farm Juices – Apple juice, pear juice
35 Hastings – PH Fish – Fish, Shellfish
HSH Group is keen to welcome and reward its loyal guests and neighbours by inviting them to join The Historic Sussex Hotels Club – a great value luxury rewards programme offering amazing benefits and complimentary gifts at Historic Sussex Hotels.
THE HISTORIC SUSSEX HOTELS CLUB
Club membership gives you:
- A sumptuous complimentary overnight stay for two on joining – Receive a complimentary overnight stay in a Deluxe Room stay with breakfast and spa entry for two at The Spread Eagle Hotel. Excludes Friday and Saturday. Valued at £185.
- One complimentary cream tea for two – Enjoy a cream tea for two at The Spread Eagle Hotel. Valid Monday to Friday. Valued at £20.
- Dine free year round at The Spread Eagle, Bailiffscourt and Ockenden Manor – Enjoy free dining on each occasion in HS Hotels restaurants when accompanied by one or more guests during Lunch and Dinner periods, excluding Saturday dinner. Not valid with any other special offer of voucher, *Members pay the total bill excluding beverages and gratuities, dividing by the number of diners and subtracting one portion.
- Complimentary drinks – A complimentary bottle of ‘West Sussex’ Sparkling Wine to enjoy in The Spread Eagle Restaurant with four or more people. Valued at £42.
- Pampering spa days for two at The Spread Eagle – Two complimentary Day Passes for two to enjoy use of The Spa at The Spread Eagle when booking a one hour treatment per person. Valid Monday to Friday.
- Spread Eagle gourmet midweek sleepover – An exclusive voucher to enjoy a three course dinner with midweek overnight stay and breakfast for two people for £100.
- Bailiffscourt gourmet midweek sleepover – An exclusive voucher to enjoy a three course dinner with a midweek overnight stay and breakfast for two people for £200.
- Ockenden Manor gourmet midweek sleepover – An exclusive voucher to enjoy a three course dinner with a midweek overnight stay and breakfast for two people for £200.
- Automatic upgrades on check in, subject to availability.
- More for your events & parties
- Exclusive Meeting and Private Dining function member rates from free room hire to 15% pending party size.
- Priority invitations to a selection of events and offers at HS Hotels.
- Fine places to dine with DESIGNRESTAURANTS – Members receive a further complimentary membership to Design Restaurants Club, valued at £90. Giving recommendations and preferential rates at the best places to dine throughout the UK such as: Camellia and The Pass restaurants at South Lodge, The Richmond Arms at Goodwood, André Garret at Cliveden, Ashdown Park Hotel, Buxted Park, Chewton Glen and in London, The Halkin, The Savoy, Marcus at The Berkeley and many more. http://www.designrestaurants.com.
Please note that terms and conditions apply. Member benefits are not valid in conjunction with any other offer, spa member discounts, menu offers, vouchers or special events.
|Special Blog Promotional Offer Price (normal Single annual fee £165)|
Single annual membership fee is
£145.00 inc. VAT
Joint annual membership fee is
£165.00 inc. VAT
|To join please contact our membership team on 01276 850581 or join online – limited spaces available per annum.|
Existing Design Restaurant members can upgrade from as little as £65 – call membership services on number above.