Michael Wignall is proud of the seasonal and local ingredients sourced for The Latymer, his award-winning luxury restaurant at Pennyhill Park in Surrey. The food hero producers that supply the kitchen and the Latymer’s own herb garden give inspiration and he wants to share recipes with everyone to make the most of seasonal flavours.
Fantastic right now is this delicious iced dessert to help cool a hot summer night!
MICHAEL’S RECIPE FOR TOKAJI AND PRUNE PARFAIT
You will need:
100g pitted prunes finely chopped
200ml Tokaji aszu or sweet dessert wine of good quality
4 whole eggs
75g of caster sugar
2 dessertspoons of cold water
250ml of double cream
- The day before making the parfait, marinate the prepared prunes in the Tokaji leaving them to soak overnight
- Place your eggs into an electric mixer and whisk for approximately 10 minutes until they are light and fluffy
- Place the sugar and water in a thick bottom saucepan, slowly warm until the bubbles have started to go very small, (118 degrees) this should take about 4-5 minutes, but watch over it as it turns very quickly
- Set the electric mixer on the lowest setting and while still whisking slowly, gently pour in the sugar syrup. When all the sugar is added, slowly increase the speed of the mixer and leave turning until cold, approximately for 10 minutes
- Remove the eggs and sugar mixture from the machine and slowly fold in the prunes and Tokaji
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and fold into the other mixed ingredients
- Pour into a cling film lined terrine, mould or single ring moulds and place into freezer
- Freeze for 8 hours, turn out of terrine or mould, re-wrap and place back in the freezer until ready to serve
- Top tip: lightly brush the mould with oil and line it with a double layer of cling film (two sheets) to aid removal
Do let us know your results by tweeting us a picture or leaving a comment below!
Design Restaurant Members receive 10% off the total food and beverage bill at The Latymer, dinner Tuesday to Thursday and lunch Wednesday to Friday. Not a member? Go to www.designrestaurants.com for more details.