Congratulations to all who took advantage of our Monday hot news tweet and were able to attend the superb RFU Charity Gala Dinner at Pennyhill Park Hotel & Spa on the 21st February.
The night’s extravaganza, hosted by Chris Evans at the last minute after the original compere was unable to attend, featured Q & As with rugby legends Martin Johnson, Danny Care, Lewis Moody and Nick Easter with a champagne reception and four-course dinner with wines. The evening closed with a ‘money can’t buy’ auction raising over £16k for local charities.
Some of the many prizes auctioned off on the night:
* Paul McCartney signed guitar
* RFU 2010 signed and framed player rugby shirts
* David Beckham signed boots framed
* 4 people to attend a rugby training session with lunch and wines to help them recover
* Private capsule on the London Eye with champagne and canapés for up to 22 people
* The Chris Evans Experience – an opportunity to go the radio show with Chris Evans and do the weather report, a round of golf with Chris and to be personally driven by Chris in one of his cars.
Charities supported were:
Children with Special Needs Foundation supporting individuals, groups and schools for equipment, holidays and tuition as well as essential care for children with special needs in Surrey, North Hampshire and East Berkshire.
Surrey Going for Gold is a charitable trust formed to help Camberley Judo Club. The aim of the trust is to achieve Olympic success in 2012 and beyond whilst promoting judo at grass roots level throughout the county. Already having producing several Olympians previously and with contenders for London 2012 and Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014 Camberley Judo Club has been identified as a Surrey sports club that can win Olympic medals.
Pennyhill Park Hotel & Spa is the official training base of the England Rugby team and holds dedicated rugby fields for their training for the lead up to their World Cup preparations.